STEP 1: Bring Your Vehicle To Carter Volkswagen
Bring your car to us and we will carefully inspect and drive your car to determine your appraisal offer. We will check:
- Interior and exterior condition-excessive wear and tear may affect your car's appraisal offer.
- Mileage/age-excessive miles may lower your offer and narrow its resale market.
- Paint and body for paint lines, overspray, body putty, dents, scratches, and other signs of previous body repair. Frame damage will also affect your offer because it shows your car has been in a serious accident. At Carter VW, we don't resell frame damaged vehicles to our customers. These vehicles are sold at wholesale auctions to other dealers.
STEP 2: The Offer
We will give you a free written offer good for 7 days at Carter Volkswagen.
STEP 3: Complete The Sale
When you decide to sell your car to us, bring all your paperwork and any car accessories, including extra keys, to us with your car. We will buy your car, whether you buy one from us or not!
We will help you with your paperwork, and if there's a pay-off involved, we will call your finance company to determine your balance. A bank draft may be issued to you for the difference. If there is negative equity, we will calculate the difference between your payoff and our offer to you. We will accept a cashier's check or certified check for the amount you owe and then pay off the finance company. In some cases, the negative equity can be included in your financing when you buy a car from Carter VW.
Get An Estimate
To get an offer for your car, bring it to Carter VW and our Buyers will appraise your vehicle. We will give you a free written offer good for 7 days, and we will buy your car whether you buy one from us or not.
If you want a basic estimate, a website like Kelley Blue Book can give you a ball park figure. Just remember, no one can give you an offer for your car without carefully inspecting it, expecially since vehicle values are changing so rapidly these days.
What To Bring With You To Sell Your Car
If you plan to sell your car to Carter VW, make sure you bring all the proper paperwork and accessories for your car with you. What is necessary varies, so contact us to confirm everything you will need to sell your car before you arrive.
- Title - Please bring your title with you when you sell your car to Carter VW. The title must be provided at the time of sale. If your vehicle is titled in a state where the owner holds title AND a previous loan on the vehicle has been paid off but is still recorded on the title, you will need both the title and lien release from the bank before we can purchase your car.
Have An Outstanding Loan?
If there is a lien on the car, we will need to contact your lien holder during business hours to get a fifteen-day payoff. To get the payoff, we will need:
- Your lien holder's name and phone number
- The name(s) on the account
- The account holder's account and social security numbers
Will All Titleholders Be Present?
If all titleholders cannot be present, you must speak to a Business Office Associate before you can sell your car to Carter VW. We may be able to accept a Power of Attorney allowing someone else to sign in an absent titleholder's behalf. Carter VW must be able to keep the original Power of Attorney so it can be attached to the title.
If the titleholder is deceased, you may have to transfer the title into your name before we can buy your car. This can usually be done by taking the title and supporting papers to the local titling office. However, because this process varies by state, ask a Business Office Associate for more information.
If you are selling a vehicle on behalf of a company, please see a Business Office Associate for the requirements needed.
Is This a Leased Vehicle?
If so, Cater VW will need some verbal confirmation of the payoff amount before we can purchase your vehicle. Please note that some leasing companies will not allow you to sell the vehicle prior to the expiration of the lease.
- Valid Registration - A valid and current car registration is proof that you own the car. Carter VW must see the vehicle's current registration documentation to varify that you own the vehicle.
- Photo ID - All title holders should bring valid state-issued photo IDs to prove identity.
- Owner's Manual - Make life a little easier on the next car owner by leaving your owner's manual in the glove box before selling your car.
- Keys & Remote - Keys can be expensive to replace. If you do not have the original keys and remote, we may adjust the offer.
- In order for Carter VW to purchase your car, you must have all of the documents required by state and local law to transfer ownership to us. Should you not possess these documents or if additional research is necessary to confirm your car's history, Carter VW reserves the right to a) Cancel the Appraisal Offer. b) Postpone the purchase until all requirements are met. c) Revise the Appraisal Offer.
- Carter VW issues a bank draft when purchasing a car from a customer. It must be deposited in an account. It cannot be cashed. Banks typically place a hold on bank drafts of up to 10 banking days. For this reason, customers are encouraged to verify their bank's hold policy before attempting to draw on the bank draft.
- Any negative equity will need to be paid to Carter VW in the form of a cashier's check, certified funds, or cash, unless the amount of negative equity can be included in the amount you are financing to purchase another car from Carter VW. Apersonal check can be used to pay negative equity under $250.
- Your written offer is based on your car and on any equipment that is installed or that is part of the car (e.g. stereos, alarms, etc.) If you remove any of this equipment, your appraisal could be voided.
- The written offer for your vehicle will not change for 7 days and will be honored at Carter VW. After 7 days, your vehicle will need to be reappraised and your offer may change. Our written offer assumes that the condition of the vehicle does not change, that we may obtain a clear title, and that there are no undisclosed conditions affecting the vehicle.
- While we are happy to provide this appraisal so you can sell your car to us, it may not be relied upon by you for any other purpose. When comparing your Carter VW appraisal with other appraisals, please be sure that the appraisal or offer is not contigent on the purchase of another car.